comics

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Re: comics

Post by Rusty »

no, Crisis is totally separate and focuses more on the multiverse. The Blackest Night stuff has been pretty good so far. They've been building up to it for over a year. I'm enjoying it.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

85 - Amazing Spider-Man 24/7 (#592-594) - Spidey tries to get the better of JJJ by winning over the people of New York.

86 - Tarzan: The Jesse Marsh Years 1 - The first six Tarzan comics are collected. It is a bit uneven at first, but gets better in later issues.

87 - Tarzan: The Jesse Marsh Years 2 - Much more consistent and entertaining than the first volume. Tarzan, Jane, Boy and friends have a variety of adventures.

88 - Doctor Who: A Cold Day In Hell - Adventures featuring the seventh Doctor are collected. I prefer the 10th Doctor, but these adventures weren't bad.

89 - Ythaq: The Forsaken World - The first three books in this Soleil science fiction series are collected. A ship crashes on a distant world and three survivors try to make the best of it amongst the natives. The first volume was pretty entertaining. Nice art and a nice story as well.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

90 - Phantom: The Ghost Who Walks #1-3 - Moonstone does a nice job with the Phantom and this series is no exception

91 - Black Terror #1-4 - The Black Terror searches for his ward, Tim, after they are released from the urn. This is a decent Project Superpowers spinoff.

92 - Runaways #7-9 "Rock Zombies" - I haven't been enjoying Runaways as much as I once did, but this three part story was fun.

93 - Dresden Files: Storm Front #1-4 - This is the second Dresden Files miniseries and it was very good, though not quite as much fun as Welcome to the Jungle. I liked the tv series for Dresden Files and may get around to reading the novels some day.

94 - X-Men First Class: Finals #1-4 - This miniseries seemed like one big danger room exercise for a while. It was entertaining, though not as much as the regular series.

95 - Eureka #1-4 - The dialogue did a good job capturing the flavor of the show. This series would probably have worked well as an episode It loses a little something in comic book form, but I liked it.

96 - 3 Geeks: Slab Madness #1-3 - I've enjoyed the 3 Geeks since their first appearance and this send up of CGC and slabbed comics is no exception. Very funny, as usual.

97 - The Greatest American Hero #1-3 - I was a little disappointed with this miniseries because even though the characterizations and dialogue were pretty accurate, this story was essentially an update of the pilot episode from the original show. I wanted new stories.

98 - Hero Squared: Love and Death #1-3 - This series won't make a lot of sense to people who haven't read the earlier series, but if you are up to speed, it is pretty funny and a nice conclusion to the storyline. We even get an appearance by a sort of Hero Squared version of Super Goof.

99 - The Great Fables Crossover - This series was essentially one big Jack of Fables story. It had the feel of the Jack of Fables series and not the main book. I liked it, but it pales a bit in comparison to some of the story arcs from the main book.

100 - Battlestar Galactica: Cylon War #1-4 - The story of how the Cylons came to sentience and why they rebelled against the humans. A nice addition to the mythos.

101 - Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic #39-41 "Dueling Ambitions" - Zayne and friends join up with a racing/dueling circuit and find that there is a seedy underbelly to the corporation that runs the events. Another of the good Star Wars books in the Dark Horse stable.

102 - Angel: Blood and Trenches #1-4 - Angel tries to get rid of some vampires during WWI. The story is mostly told in black and white and that threw me off a bit at first, but it works for this story. I thought it was a pretty decent story and more entertaining than the regular book has been.

103 - Masquerade #1-4 - The story of the blonde bombshell/crimefighter - how she got her powers, highlights of her career, and how she ended up in the urn with the other heroes. I liked the series a lot, even more than the Black Terror series. I wonder if an ongoing series is planned at all.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

104 - Resistance #1-6 - Two stories in each issue that take place in the early 1950s after the Earth was invaded by aliens in the 1930s. A war is on and humans are slowly losing ground. The series was okay, but I've read plenty better series lately.

105 - Fringe #1-6
- Two stories in each issue here as well. The first story dealt with Dr. Bishop and Dr. Bell from the time they first met in the early 1970s and the other story was some random weird event. I enjoyed the series, though I still need to watch the tv show.

106 - Star Wars: Clone Wars #1-6 - The entire population of a world is carted off into slavery and Anakin and Obi-Wan have to track them down and rescue them. I thought this series was a lot of fun.

107 - Storming Paradise #1-6 - A what if story about the invasion of Japan after the nuclear bomb tests go awry, killing the key scientists. It was a very good series, though I thought the very end could have been a bit better.

108 - Kull #1-6 - King Kull takes the throne of Valusia and immediately has to deal with a threat from the Great Serpent Cult. A very nice series which hopefully will lead to an ongoing series.

109 - Terminator: Revolution #1-5 - Another variation on the Terminator theme with the story taking place in 2015 and in 1996 with John Connor, his wife, his younger self, Sarah Connor and Kyle Reese. I liked this a lot more than the Terminator: Salvation series. It was pretty good.

110 - BPRD: The Black Goddess #1-5 - The search for Liz Sherman takes place. Lobster Johnson makes an appearance as well. I love BPRD just as much, if not more than Hellboy. I'm also looking forward to the Witchfinder miniseries and BPRD: 1947.

Overall, a nice selection of miniseries today.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

111 - Sgt. Rock: The Lost Battalion #1-6 - A mixture of fact and fiction as the story of the Lost Battalion is told mostly through the eyes of a war correspondent. Sgt. Rock and Easy Company is one focus, but Johnny Cloud and the Haunted Tank also make appearances. It didn't feel like a typical Sgt. Rock story, but was excellent nonetheless.

112 - Avengers/Invaders #1-12 - Captain America, Bucky, Namor, Human Torch and Toro find themselves in 2008, right smack in the middle of Civil War. They find themselves at odds with Iron Man and his Avengers as they try to find a way back to their own time. I enjoyed the series quite a bit.

113 - Batman: Gotham After Midnight #1-12 - A new villain named Midnight is manipulating a lot of Batman's foes for their own reasons. I thought this series was below average. I'd figured out who Midnight was fairly early on. The art wasn't that great either.

114 - The War That Time Forgot #1-12 - Tomahawk, Viking Prince, GI Robot, Enemy Ace, Firehair, Golden Gladiator and many other soldiers from throughout history find themselves on a strange island with dinosaurs. They do battle with each other, with dinosaurs and with another enemy that appears. I enjoyed this series and thought that it was pretty entertaining. Of course, I've been a fan of the old DC war books for a long time.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

115 - Justice League of America #28-34 "Welcome to Sundown Town" - Definitely not my favorite story. I hope the new creative team can breathe new life into this title.

116 - Wonder Woman #26-33 "Rise of the Olympian" - I thought this arc got better as it went along. It wasn't great, but was okay.

117 - New Brighton Archeological Society Book One - When their parents are killed, four children (two sets of brother and sister) move in with their godparents on a large estate. They explore the grounds and find their parents old clubhouse and other neighbors as well. Fantasy elements and adventure are mixed together nicely. I enjoyed this book a lot and hope that a second volume isn't long in coming.

118 - Diana Prince: Wonder Woman Volume 3
119 - Diana Prince: Wonder Woman Volume 4 -
I enjoyed the last two volumes in the depowered Wonder Woman adventures more than the first two volumes. I thought they were more consistent and entertaining.

120 - Yoko Tsuno 1: On the Edge of Life - Yoko visits a friend of hers who is suffering from a mysterious ailment and gets drawn into a mystery involving what may be a vampire. I thought this book was very good and plan to pick up more of the cinebook series. I enjoyed the series 20 years ago when a couple of volumes made it out under the title "The Adventures of Yoko, Vic and Paul".

121 - Star Wars Adventures: Han Solo and the Hollow Moon of Khorya - A Han Solo adventure from a couple of years before "A New Hope". A fun little story.

122 - Star Wars Clone Wars: The Wind Raiders of Taloraan - Ahsoka has to learn about diplomacy the hard way. A good story, though not quite as much fun as the last Clone Wars story I read.

123 - Dragonero -
A fantasy adventure translated from the Italian original. I thought it was a good done in one adventure, though the world and characters are intriguing enough to warrant more stories.

124 - Torchwood: Rift War - An enemy seems to be using the rift for their own nefarious purposes in a story that takes place between series 1 and 2. The story was okay, but not on the same level as the tv show. I'm eagerly awaiting series three, which will be airing very soon.

125 - Battlestar Galactica: Echoes of New Caprica - Three short stories that fill in some of the gaps from the tv show during and after the time spent on New Caprica. The stories weren't bad.

126 - Savage Sword of Conan Volume 1 - A collection of Conan stories from Savage Tales and Savage Sword. Some of the stories were much better than others, but overall you get a lot of value in this huge book. I still prefer the regular Conan and King Conan series from Marvel plus the Dark Horse version of the character, but the Savage Sword volumes are worth picking up for Conan fans.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

127 - Aqua Leung - The story of a boy who is the heir to the throne of Atlantis after Atlantis has been conquered. It was okay.

128 - Ender's Game: Battle School - This is the first part of the adaptation of the novel Ender's Game and what there is of it is pretty decent. Unfortunately, a ton of stuff has been cut from the novel and this is a much abridged version. It should have been made into a much longer series.

129 - Ender's Shadow: Battle School - The first part of the adaptation of Ender's Shadow is much better than that of Ender's Game. It has more depth and does a better job capturing the feel of the book. Perhaps the book just lends itself more to this sort of an adaptation than does Ender's Game. It works well as a companion piece and on its own.

130 - Turok Archives vol. 2 - This collects issues 7-12 in the adventures of two Native Americans lost in series of canyons that contain dinosaurs, cavemen and more. Lots of fun.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

131 - Green Lantern 39-42 "Agent Orange" - This prelude to Blackest Night was decent.

132 - Green Lantern Corps 33-38 - "Emerald Eclipse" - Another prelude to Blackest Night does a good job of setting the stage.

133 - Superman: World of New Krypton 1-5 - I've really been enjoying this series so far with Superman joining the new Kryptonian society on New Krypton.

134 - Preacher Book One - I didn't like Preacher when it first came out, but after reading a dozen issues in one volume, I do like it now, though not as much as titles like Y the Last Man, Fables, DMZ, Ex Machina and Transmetropolitan.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

135 - Solanin - Mieko is 24 years old and has been working at an office job that she hates since graduating from college. Her boyfriend lives with her and doesn't have a steady job, but still dabbles with being a musician. This book deals with the aimlessness of youth and starts a bit slow, but keeps building and ends up being an excellent volume.

136 - Toto! The Wonderful Adventure 1-5 - Kakashi wants to be an adventurer and he sets out to explore the world when he stumbles upon Dorothy, a young girl with martial arts skills, and Toto, a little dog with a big secret. They end up on a big adventure, gathering friends along the way, including Lion, a 'tin man', and Alice of the Wonder family. They battle an army, compete in a contest and fight with and against gangsters. This was a fun series with a bit of an abrupt end, though not an unsatisfying one. I do wish that more adventures were forthcoming, though.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

137 - Invincible #61-64 "Conquest" - The Invincible War Aftermath story was pretty good. Plenty of blood and gore and fights.

138 - Outsiders #15-20 Special #1 "The Deep" - I liked the first story in the rededicated Outsiders lineup.

139 - Green Arrow/Black Canary #16-22 "Enemies List" - GA and Black Canary see their supporting cast go off on their own. Ollie realizes how much his life has changed. Not bad. I liked the co-feature story that they've started, too.

140 - Amazing Spider-Man #595-599 "American Son" - Norman Osborn recruits Harry to join his forces and Peter tries to save him by infiltrating Avengers Tower. Good stuff. I've been enjoying Amazing Spider-Man since Brand New Day.

141 - Simpsons "Radioactive Man Event" - The publishers of Radioactive Man advertise a bold new direction for their title and build the hype, but Bart and friends are worried that these events never live up to the hype. A fun story, as per usual.

142 - Ultimatum #1-5 - Magneto goes nuts and kills a lot of people. I didn't hate it as much as a lot of people seem to. I thought it was okay.

143 - Fantastic Four #566-569 "Doom's Master" - I thought this was one of the worst FF storylines I've read in a long time.

144 - Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps #1-3 - Short stories to fill in the background on some of the characters. I thought the Kilowog and Arisia tales were the best of the bunch. Throwing in a reprint of a few pages from Blackest Night #1 with commentary was not good, though.

145 - Cars: The Rookie #1-4 - The story of how Lightning McQueen got into Piston Cup racing. Fun stuff. I really like the new Boom! Kids line.

146 - The Incredibles: Family Matters #1-4 - Mr. Incredible seems to be slowly losing his powers. Meanwhile, the family is bonding with their new neighbors. Another fun series.

147 - Sabrina #101-104 "Finders Keepers" - The adventures of Sabrina's cat, Salem, when he was a young wizard. Not as good as the recent manga Sabrina book, but not bad.

148 - The Prince of Heroes Chapter II #1-5 - I've been a Rod Espinosa fan for a long time. Neotopia, Courageous Princess and others are very nice books. This one is shaping up that way as well. The first chapter felt pretty short, but this second chapter helps to set the stage nicely and makes me eager to get the next chapter.

149 - Eureka: Dormant Gene #1-4 - I thought this Eureka miniseries was a lot better than the first one. A new trend arises at Eureka High School where students can modify their appearance using a designer drug. Many of them seem to be enamored with a popular teen vampire series (hmmm, I wonder what that is based on) and choose to become more vampire like. Zoe takes center stage in this miniseries that does a nice job capturing the flavor of the show.

150 - Nexus #99-102 "Space Opera" - The Elvonics are in a snit (as always) and seem bent on killing everyone on Ylum who is not a follower of Elvon. It has been such a long time since I read Nexus that I don't really remember all of the backstory anymore, but I enjoyed the return of what was once one of my favorite books.

151 - Farscape: D'Argo's Lament #1-4 - D'Argo and Jool try to buy some lubricant that Moya needs, but get caught in the middle of a battle between two warring factions. D'Argo gets mistaken for a general and they won't leave him alone as both sides try to recruit him. This was a decent little side story.

152 - Farscape: Strange Distractors #1-4 - A virus is sweeping the galaxy that makes everyone snipe and get angry with each other, leading to fights and death in some cases. Crichton has to track down a cure before he and his friends end up killing each other. Another good story in the Farscape line.

153 - C.E. Murphy's Take a Chance #1-5 - In a world where some people have started to develop superpowers, Chance is a nonpowered woman who fights crime using only her normal abilities and martial arts training. This was a good introduction to the character and I'd enjoy seeing another series or two.

154 - House of Mystery #11-15 "The Space Between" - We learn a lot more about the house and why some of the people can't seem to leave. Fig's father serves as a trigger for many of these events. I like this new incarnation of the House of Mystery.

155 - Battlestar Galactica: The Final Five #1-4 - This series delves a bit more into the final five cylons and where they came from, including their life on Kobol and Earth thousands of years ago. I didn't think this series was as good as many of the other BSG books, but it was okay. It seemed kind of disjointed.

156 - Vixen: Return of the Lion #1-5 - Mari returns to her roots in her home village in Africa only to find that a thug is making life miserable there. She has to get more in touch with her powers and herself in order to overcome this threat. The JLA also guest stars in a few of the issues. DC did a nice job with this series.

157 - Star Trek: Mission's End #1-5 - Kirk's final mission as captain of the Enterprise sees them return to a world that they visited near the beginning of their initial voyage. A constructed planet with powerful engines that could serve as a powerful weapon. The natives seem a bit primitive, but the Federation wants to admit them into the Federation to stave off a threat that they could pose in the future. This serves as a bit of a prelude to the first Star Trek movie.

158 - Star Trek: Crew #1-5 - This series focuses on one crew member and a couple of her friends as she works her way up from cadet to Lieutenant. She is not named in the series, but it isn't too hard to figure out who she is if you were a fan of the original series and know a bit of pre-Kirk history. I thought this was pretty good.

159 - Flash Gordon #1-6 - An updated version of the story as Flash, Dale and Zarkov crash land on Mongo and get caught up in their civil war with Ming the Merciless. A nice update to a classic tale.

160 - Marvel Masterworks: The Human Torch volume 2 - This book collects the second half of Johnny Storm's solo tales from Strange Tales, though the Thing was his partner for many of these tales. Typical 1960s fare, but fun if you are a Torch fan.

161 - Archie "Break Up Blues" - Midge and Moose break up and Reggie is happy to step in. This is part of the "new look" Archie stories that Archie is running in some of their digests.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

162 - Betty and Veronica Double Digest 170-173 "My Father's Betrayal" - Veronica gets upset when her father wants to raze a park that is important to her and build a business park. This is part of the new look series of stories.

163 - Hardy Boys 17 - Word Up! - A high school student with a popular, but controversial radio show is the target of an assassin and the Hardy Boys have to protect him.

164,165 - Nancy Drew 17,18 - The Secret Within - Nancy and her father travel to Istanbul to help a friend who is being forced to sell her home due to financial reasons, but the home has a hidden secret and has been in her family for centuries.

166 - The Muppet Show: Meet the Muppets - This book does a nice job capturing the flavor of the show.

167 - X:Factor: Time and a Half - Madrox and Theresa have their baby with unexpected results. Longshot tries to protect a woman who thinks she is being watched. A new villain named Cortex makes a few appearances. Madrox later meets up with Layla again in the future. I really like X:Factor and this book was no exception.

168 - Dark Avengers: Assemble - I liked this collection a lot. It's an interesting series.

169 - Mighty Avengers: Earth's Mightiest - This volume was a bit hit or miss for me. I liked the Reed Richards/Hank Pym showdown and the assembling of the new team, but the stuff with Chthon wasn't as interesting. More good than bad, though.

170 - Agents of Atlas: Dark Reign - I liked the miniseries and I enjoyed this volume as well. This is a fun book.

171 - Lords of Avalon: Sword of Darkness - The mother of the next Merlin is kidnapped by the demon king of Camelot and they force changes in one another. I liked the book, but it felt a bit choppy in parts where the story seemed a bit rushed.

172 - Lords of Avalon: Knight of Darkness - The story of Lancelot's son, Varain, who is the top assassin of Avalon. I thought it was pretty good.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

You think Disney will start screwing with the comics?
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Nope. I don't think Disney will do much of anything with the comics. I think they are more interested in movies and cartoons and such.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

Im afraid they will kiddy down the comics
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I doubt it, but we'll see.

173 - Turok Archives volume 3 - More entertaining stories in the lost series of canyons with cavemen and dinosaurs

174 - Universal War One volume 2 - The conclusion to an excellent science fiction story involving time travel, teleportation, wormholes and the possible destruction of the Earth.