Book Reviews

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

fluffy wrote:
kurt culler wrote: I just finished book 2 of the Alanna quartet and will start on book 3 tonight. It's nice reading books that are only around 200 pages long for a change :P Oh, and you have nothing to be intimidated about. On the Baen's Bar board where I hang out, there are people who read far more than I do.
How can anyone have time to read more than that? Do they do that Evelyn Wood style of speed reading?
( I think it's Eveyln Wood)
It's true though, I like long books or I'd be reading 1 a day.
I like books to be in the 300-500 page range for the most part. Longer books just seem to take forever to end, though they can be enjoyable. Many juveniles are shorter (though not all of course). Tamora Pierce's early books tended to be around 200 pages because the publisher didn't want them to be any longer. Harry Potter changed that and her last few books have been 300-400 pages or more. Her Trickster's Choice and Trickster's Queen 2 book set was excellent.

As far as reading more books than that, I dunno. Some of the people claim to read 2-3 books a day on average. They either have no life and lots of time to read, are exaggerating, or read short books. I read around 40-50 pages per hour for good scifi/fantasy books and around 60-80 pages per hour for juveniles/young adult books.
tommi
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by tommi »

does anyone know any good mystery books?
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

azianboi044 wrote:does anyone know any good mystery books?
Oh wow for your age? I bet Kurt does.
I'm a girl. All I know is I read all the Nancy Drew books!
tommi
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by tommi »

fluffy wrote:
Oh wow for your age? I bet Kurt does.
I'm a girl. All I know is I read all the Nancy Drew books!
i took testsevery year in my skool,, and every time i score in 7-10 grade, so i am capable reading books over my age :D
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I always liked Nancy Drew better than the Hardy Boys. My favorite mystery series, though, was the Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators Mystery Series. It became just the Three Investigators after Hitchcock died in 1980. The series ran for 43 books (and 11 Crimebusters books which were not as good). It was about three young teens who ran their detective agency out of a junkyard. Jupiter Jones was the brains of the outfit, Pete Crenshaw was athletic, and Bob Andrews is the studious third detective.

This series was great and if you can get them out of your library, I would start with the first books in the series - The Secret of Terror Castle, The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot, and The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy. The earlier editions are better than the newer editions which cut out the Alfred Hitchcock part and replace him with somebody else. There is a movie trilogy which starts filming soon and is adapting three of the books. I think the first movie may come out around Christmas or maybe early next year. The series is so popular in Germany that they have about 50 more books than the English series.
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

And Azianboi if you want to go older I'd say anything by Agatha Christie, or P.D.James.
P.D. James books tend to be longer and more dragged out and very English
but they're really good books.
The Nero Wolfe books by Rex Stout were really fun. Nero Wolfe never leaves his house and his assistant, Archie Goodwin runs around and brings the suspects to him.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I finished the Lioness Quartet tonight (which I started on Monday). I plan to reread the Immortals Quartet next week, but will take a break first
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

I finished First Counsel last night and I'm just going to say it was a nerve wracking book and I think you should read it Kurt and tell me what you think.
I mean it's very well written and the characters are strong, but it's about set ups and deceit and other than that I don't want to give anything away. It's only a 500 page book so it should take you very little time.
I spent this morning reading Frank Millers first three volumes of Sin City which I thought were astounding.
I have the fourth volume to read tomorrow.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

fluffy wrote:I finished First Counsel last night and I'm just going to say it was a nerve wracking book and I think you should read it Kurt and tell me what you think.
I mean it's very well written and the characters are strong, but it's about set ups and deceit and other than that I don't want to give anything away. It's only a 500 page book so it should take you very little time.
I spent this morning reading Frank Millers first three volumes of Sin City which I thought were astounding.
I have a free pass to go see a Sin City preview next Wednesday. I'm looking forward to it. With Jessica Alba in it, what could go wrong?
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

kurt culler wrote:
fluffy wrote:I finished First Counsel last night and I'm just going to say it was a nerve wracking book and I think you should read it Kurt and tell me what you think.
I have a free pass to go see a Sin City preview next Wednesday. I'm looking forward to it. With Jessica Alba in it, what could go wrong?
OH WOW . I've heard it's brilliant! Oh I'm SOOOO envious!
I wanna hear all about it. A full review!!!
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

fluffy wrote:
kurt culler wrote:
OH WOW . I've heard it's brilliant! Oh I'm SOOOO envious!
I wanna hear all about it. A full review!!!
I shall do so after the movie. It should be fun. I've got First Counsel on my reading pile, but there are a few others I've been itching to get to for a while, so it probably won't be next.
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

I began and finished Through the Ice by Piers Anthony and Robert Kornwise. It's an entertaining story alright.
The interesting part is it's base on a manuscript by Robert Kornwise that he wrote when he was 15 years old and then when he was killed in a car accident at 16 years old his friend asked Piers Anthony to finish the book for him. How's that for a story behind a story?
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

fluffy wrote:I began and finished Through the Ice by Piers Anthony and Robert Kornwise. It's an entertaining story alright.
The interesting part is it's base on a manuscript by Robert Kornwise that he wrote when he was 15 years old and then when he was killed in a car accident at 16 years old his friend asked Piers Anthony to finish the book for him. How's that for a story behind a story?
I'd read that before in the introduction to Through the Ice, though I haven't gotten around to reading the actual book yet. I will at some point.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

i finally read the first volume of sin city (as you can see in my sig :P ) do the others get better? the first volume was ok but not as good as i was expecting, i may have been expecting too much?
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

Psychotic_Carp wrote:i finally read the first volume of sin city (as you can see in my sig :P ) do the others get better? the first volume was ok but not as good as i was expecting, i may have been expecting too much?
I think they do. I sorta had the same reaction you did to the first one but by the end on the second I was much more into it. They just get better I think. You start to have plot crossovers big time in the second one with Marv and Dwight....