Book Reviews

This forum is to jibber and jabber
jennifer stambersky
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by jennifer stambersky »

fluffy wrote:
kurt culler wrote:I'm reading Schism by Catherine Asaro now. It is the 10th book in the Skolian Empire series, but the second book chronologically. It is a really good series and I think one of the books (Quantum Rose) even won a nebula. I suppose you could classify the series as science fiction/romance/adventure. If anyone wants to try them, a good place to start would be Skyfall. I read them in the order they were published and that is okay too. I think my favorite book in the series is either Quantum Rose or The Last Hawk.
I have never coveted a persons library quite as much as I'm coveting yours right now.

Can you read these in any order? I'm only asking because my chances of finding them in any particaular order are slim to none.
no i have not heard of that one, i read alot of the dr. and eric carle, margret wise brown and many many many more oh and thanks so much for the gift i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

jennifer stambersky wrote:no i have not heard of that one, i read alot of the dr. and eric carle, margret wise brown and many many many more oh and thanks so much for the gift i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh you are SO welcome. When he made it I thought of you right away . I'm glad you love it!
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

fluffy wrote:I started and am almost finished with The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King.
Beyond a shadow of a doubt, he wrote this book for his chiildren or child because it's told in a very childlike manner but still, it's a good read simply because his characterizations are so excellent. One of the interesting things is the bad Wizards name is Flagg which is the same name he used for the evil guy in The Stand.
An interview with King stated that he wrote the book because his children were unable to read his other books at the time because they were too young. I also read that not only is Flagg in both Eyes of the Dragon and the Dark Tower series, but so is Roland (the Good) and that the two are likely related peripherally. Eyes of the Dragon was very enjoyable.
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

kurt culler wrote:
An interview with King stated that he wrote the book because his children were unable to read his other books at the time because they were too young. I also read that not only is Flagg in both Eyes of the Dragon and the Dark Tower series, but so is Roland (the Good) and that the two are likely related peripherally. Eyes of the Dragon was very enjoyable.
Well I loved it. Tonight I'll start the one by Brad Meltzer.
Tomorrow I'll send you the address. :)
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

fluffy wrote:
kurt culler wrote:
Well I loved it. Tonight I'll start the one by Brad Meltzer.
Tomorrow I'll send you the address. :)
Sounds good. I finished The People of Sparks (sequel to The City of Ember) and it was also very good. Then I read the 19th book in the Heartland Series - New Beginnings which was also good. It was a short book, though, only 165 pages. I picked up First Counsel by Brad Meltzer at the book sale and will read it eventually.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I found myself with some time to kill after school today while running off a ton of copies for our MEAP review. The High School MEAP is right after we get back from break and I am doing a practice test with my Algebra 2 classes tomorrow.

Since I had about 20-25 minutes, I started rereading Alanna the First Adventure by Tamora Pierce. I continued reading at home and am about 100 pages into it now. I might finish it tonight and plan to go on reread the other 3 books in the series too.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

kurt culler wrote:I found myself with some time to kill after school today while running off a ton of copies for our MEAP review. The High School MEAP is right after we get back from break and I am doing a practice test with my Algebra 2 classes tomorrow.

Since I had about 20-25 minutes, I started rereading Alanna the First Adventure by Tamora Pierce. I continued reading at home and am about 100 pages into it now. I might finish it tonight and plan to go on reread the other 3 books in the series too.
i just got home from work at 1830 :(
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Psychotic_Carp wrote: i just got home from work at 1830 :(
What time to did you go in today? I just got home around 5 and went in at 8 this morning.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

kurt culler wrote:
What time to did you go in today? I just got home around 5 and went in at 8 this morning.
i was at my first call around 830
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Psychotic_Carp wrote:
kurt culler wrote:
i was at my first call around 830
Kind of a long day, then. I just finished Alanna and am now going to check homework papers for the next two hours before going to bed. If I finish early, I may start reading the second book in the series, In the Hand of the Goddess.
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

kurt culler wrote:
Sounds good. I finished The People of Sparks (sequel to The City of Ember) and it was also very good. Then I read the 19th book in the Heartland Series - New Beginnings which was also good. It was a short book, though, only 165 pages. I picked up First Counsel by Brad Meltzer at the book sale and will read it eventually.
I started First Counsel and although political thrillers aren't usually my forte, this one has me very nervous so far.
On an added note, you DO read alot! That's wonderful!
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

fluffy wrote:
kurt culler wrote:
I started First Counsel and although political thrillers aren't usually my forte, this one has me very nervous so far.
On an added note, you DO read alot! That's wonderful!
Other than Grisham, I don't usually stray much from the sci fi/fantasy/young adult world of books. I do plan to read First Counsel eventually so let me know what you think. I read around 120-130 books per year usually. I've been keeping track for the last 5 years and I topped 200 once, but most years have been around 130, so figure 10-11 per month on average.
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

kurt culler wrote: I read around 120-130 books per year usually. I've been keeping track for the last 5 years and I topped 200 once, but most years have been around 130, so figure 10-11 per month on average.
* Finds herself feeling terribly intimidated by kurt culler again.*
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

fluffy wrote:
kurt culler wrote: I read around 120-130 books per year usually. I've been keeping track for the last 5 years and I topped 200 once, but most years have been around 130, so figure 10-11 per month on average.
* Finds herself feeling terribly intimidated by kurt culler again.*
I just finished book 2 of the Alanna quartet and will start on book 3 tonight. It's nice reading books that are only around 200 pages long for a change :P Oh, and you have nothing to be intimidated about. On the Baen's Bar board where I hang out, there are people who read far more than I do.
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

kurt culler wrote: I just finished book 2 of the Alanna quartet and will start on book 3 tonight. It's nice reading books that are only around 200 pages long for a change :P Oh, and you have nothing to be intimidated about. On the Baen's Bar board where I hang out, there are people who read far more than I do.
How can anyone have time to read more than that? Do they do that Evelyn Wood style of speed reading?
( I think it's Eveyln Wood)
It's true though, I like long books or I'd be reading 1 a day.