Movies

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Flyboys - 6/10 - A movie about Americans going over to France to fight in World War I as pilots. It is 'inspired' by the true story. I thought the movie was okay, but nothing special. It had some good flying sequences in it, but was kind of boring at times also.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Borat - 4.5/10 - There were a few funny scenes, but in general this is not my type of comedy. I didn't like Da Ali G show when I tried watching it and am not a big fan of this. I can understand why some people think this was one of the best films last year, but it wasn't to my tastes.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

Rusty wrote:Borat - 4.5/10 - There were a few funny scenes, but in general this is not my type of comedy. I didn't like Da Ali G show when I tried watching it and am not a big fan of this. I can understand why some people think this was one of the best films last year, but it wasn't to my tastes.
I havent seen it yet but my dad hated it as well, makes me wonder why it was such a big hit
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Some people like that kind of humor. I don't.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Blood Diamond - 9/10 - During the 1999 civil war in Sierra Leone, a smuggler hooks up with a fisherman who hid a rare pink diamond while a prisoner of the rebel forces. His son has been taken as a child soldier and the rest of his family is in a refugee camp. The smuggler and fisherman try to recover the diamond amidst all the violence and bloodshed. I thought the movie was very well made and entertaining. I found the performances by DiCaprio and Hounsou to be very convincing.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Crank - 6.5/10 - Chev wakes up and finds out that he's been injected with a Chinese poison and should be dead within the hour. The only thing keeping him going is adrenaline, though he tries other things as well. He sets out on a rampage through LA as he tries to find an antidote, get revenge on the guy that did this to him and protect his girl. I thought it was a pretty wild ride and was a lot of fun, even if it isn't a really complicated film.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

Did the adrenalin keep him going for more than an hour or would nothing else help after the hour was up? Seems too sort of time.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

He snorts coke, gets epinephrine and other stuff to keep him going longer than the hour.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I ended up renting this from the library, so I won't need it anymore Dave. Thanks, though.

Clerks II - 9/10 - The Quik Stop burns down and the guys end up working at Mooby's. I thought it was very funny and is now my second favorite View Askew movie, right after Dogma. How can you resist a movie with a good donkey show. Plus it had Rosario Dawson in it.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

I forgot you wanted to borrow it :( sorry, sometimes you have o remind me I forgot something :(
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Hollywoodland - 5/10 - I really wanted to like this movie about whether George Reeves committed suicide or was murdered, but I found it kind of boring. I've heard comparisons to LA Confidential, a movie that I liked a lot, but I don't think this one quite measures up. I do think Affleck made a decent Reeves, though.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

Rusty wrote:Hollywoodland - 5/10 - I really wanted to like this movie about whether George Reeves committed suicide or was murdered, but I found it kind of boring. I've heard comparisons to LA Confidential, a movie that I liked a lot, but I don't think this one quite measures up. I do think Affleck made a decent Reeves, though.
I thought it was pretty good but something just seemed like it was missing from the movie?
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Psychotic_Carp wrote:
Rusty wrote:Hollywoodland - 5/10 - I really wanted to like this movie about whether George Reeves committed suicide or was murdered, but I found it kind of boring. I've heard comparisons to LA Confidential, a movie that I liked a lot, but I don't think this one quite measures up. I do think Affleck made a decent Reeves, though.
I thought it was pretty good but something just seemed like it was missing from the movie?
like heart, maybe?
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Alex Rider: Stormbreaker - 7.5/10 - When Alex Rider's uncle is killed, he finds out that he didn't work for a bank after all and gets drawn into a world of espionage. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit and thought the action scenes were very good. Hopefully it did well enough for them to adapt more of the novels.

28 movies down/337 to go
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Beer League - 5/10 - Artie plays softball with cigarette in his mouth and a beer in his hand. He still lives with his mom and is still hung up over his rival from high school who is more successful than he is. I thought the movie was amusing, though full of lowbrow humor. Not a bad movie, but nothing spectacular either.