Movies

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Re: Movies

Post by Rusty »

:810:
49 - Secrets of the Heart - 8/10 - Javi is a young boy growing up in Spain in the 1960s. He lives with two of his aunts and his older brother where they attend school, though they take the bus to visit their mother and grandfather on occasion. Javi learns a bit about love and death during the period of the film. I thought that this was a very good movie
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:7510:
50 - Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey - 7.5/10 - I thought that overall this was a fun movie. There were a lot of things that they got right and a few things that felt a bit off, but it is a good film. I liked it a little bit more than Suicide Squad. Margot Robbie is perfect as Harley Quinn as expected. I thought that Jurnee Smollett-Bell was decent as Dinah Drake. Mary Elizabeth Winstead was mostly decent as Huntress, but I thought the social awkwardness was a bit out of character. I didn't really care for Rosie Perez as Renee Montoya since this wasn't my view of Montoya, though Perez is a good actress. Similarly, I didn't buy Ella Jay Basco as Cassandra Cain. Her acting was decent and if it had been a new character, that would have been fine, but this wasn't Cassandra Cain. There wasn't really a lot to the story, but the film had good action scenes and kept things moving along.

51 - Always in My Heart - 7.5/10 - A man has been in prison for 13 years for a crime that he didn't commit. He made his wife divorce him at the time and had her tell everybody that he had died. Now he is getting released from prison and sets out to secretly visit his adult children so that he doesn't disrupt his wife's plan to remarry, even though she still loves him. I enjoyed it.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

52 - Commandos Strike at Dawn - 7.5/10 - Paul Muni plays a Norwegian widower during WWII. When the Nazis take over Norway, he and some of his fellow townpeople form a resistance. He eventually escapes to England and leads them back on a raid to destroy a German airfield. I thought this was a pretty good wartime film.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:710:
53 - Raffles (1930) - 7/10 - This wasn't really different from the later version starring David Niven about a popular cricket player who moonlights as a thief named the Amateur Cracksman. I liked the later version a little bit more, though.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

54 - The Merry Widow (1952) - 7.5/10 - I liked this version more than the 1930s version. A rich American widow is courted because her fortune would cover the entire national debt of a small European country. Lana Turner stars as the widow Radek.

55 - It Happened Tomorrow - 8/10 - A newspaperman who is stuck writing obituaries, but wants to become a star reporter gets access to the next day's newspaper. I thought this was a fun movie.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

56 - Frenchman's Creek - 7/10 - An English lady in the mid-1600s falls for a charismatic French pirate in this 1944 swashbuckler. It was kind of dull at first, but got better in the second half.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

57 - Cain and Mabel - 7/10 - This 1930s film involves a waitress turned dancer/actress and a boxer being linked in a fake romance to boost each of their careers. Then the romance turns real. The movie was decent enough and had a fair amount of humor.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

58 - My Wild Irish Rose - 7/10 - The story of Chauncey Olcott's rise to success and his romance with Rose O'Donovan is told here in this musical. It wasn't great, but it was okay.

:610:
59 - Varsity Show - 6/10 - A dumb, but harmless musical from the 1930s about students at a college who are trying to put on their annual varsity show, but are having problems with a stodgy professor in charge of the production. They enlist a graduate who is involved in Broadway productions to help. Most of the supposed male college students were way too old to be convincing. It was watchable, but pales in comparison to many other musicals.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

60 - Music in Manhattan - 7.5/10 - Frankie Foster and Stanley Benson are singers and performers whose stage show is close to being cancelled. When Frankie goes to Washington, D.C. to try and secure more money to keep the show going, a mix-up leads to newspapers proclaiming her the secret wife of war hero Johnny Pearson. This error leads to increased attendance at her show, but leads to other problems. I thought it was a fun movie.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

61 - B.F.'s Daughter - 7.5/10 - Polly is the daughter of a very wealthy, but kind, businessman in the early 1930s. She is engaged to a lawyer that she has known since childhood, but she falls in love and marries a professor/lecturer whose ideas are out of line with her father's. Other than the quickness with which she fell in love and got married, I thought it was a good film.
Last edited by Rusty on Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

62 - La Ronde - 7.5/10 - This French film from 1950 features a master of ceremonies who follows 10 amorous adventures between couples where one of the characters carries over into the next segment of the film until it circles back to the beginning at the end. The master of ceremonies plays a role in each part and also makes a carousel move around to signify the move to the next couple. It was a pretty good film.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

63 - I Want You - 7.5/10 - This film takes place at the beginning of the Korean War and deals with a small town and some of the people who have to decide whether to enlist or re-enlist and those who get drafted. It was maybe a bit heavy handed in the propaganda, but was still a decent movie.

64 - The Card - 8/10 - Alec Guinness stars as a poor man with an almost unshakeable good humor who has plenty of ideas on how to earn money and raise his station. The film follows his adventures over a number of years as he works his way up through society. It was pretty good.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

65 - Suzy - 7.5/10 - An American chorus girl is in London looking for a wealthy husband in 1914, just prior to the start of World War I. She falls for a man who is charming, but not wealthy, and they get married. When he is shot by a spy, she panics and leaves, eventually falling for and marrying a French pilot. I thought it was a good movie, though Cary Grant was not very convincing as a Frenchman.

66 - The Sea Wolf - 8/10 - Edward G. Robinson stars as the cruel captain Wolf Larsen in this Jack London adaptation. Several fugitives find themselves on Larsen's ship, Ghost, and are prisoners because he refuses to put them ashore. It was very good.

67 - That Forsyte Woman - 7.5/10 - Soames Forsyte is a wealthy man who liked to collect material things and a wife is just another object to check off his list. He marries Irene, a woman who does not love him, but is worn down by his proposals. She later falls in love with an architect, but avoids this relationship since her niece has also fallen for the man and expects to marry him. The movie is part romance and part tragedy and wasn't bad.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

68 - Onward - 8/10 - The latest Pixar film was pretty entertaining. A world filled with magic and all sorts of creatures has become a world much like ours and magic is only told in stories and games. Now an opportunity arises for two teenagers to bring back their deceased father for one day, but they have to complete a quest.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

69 - Le Plaisir - 7/10 - Three short stories are adapted here. The first one is about a young man who collapses while dancing at a masque and it turns out that he is actually an old man. The doctor makes sure he is taken home and treated. The second story is about a madame who takes her women into the country where her niece is going to have her first communion. The third story is about an artist and his muse. The movie was okay, but not as good as La Ronde.