Movies

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Re: Movies

Post by Rusty »

:7510:
338 - Smart Money - 7.5/10 - Nick is a barber who has a talent for gambling. He tries to get in on a big game in the city and ends up getting cheated out of his stake. He works out a plan and gets his revenge, going on to becoming the biggest gambler in town. The D.A. is after him, but he proves elusive. Later, tragedy strikes as one of the D.A.'s plots plays out.
Last edited by Rusty on Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

339 - Raffles (1939) - 7.5/10 - David Niven stars as a popular cricket player who moonlights as a thief called the Amateur Cracksman. The police are after him as he attempts one final heist to help a friend. I thought it was a fun movie.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

340 - Irene - 7.5/10 - An Irish shop girl in New York befriends a high society man and they fall in love. Plenty of romantic mishaps occur along the way, but this was an enjoyable film.

:6510:
341 - Saludos Amigos - 6.5/10 - A somewhat dull travelogue with part live action and part animated (with Goofy and Donald Duck) from Disney.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:8510:
342 - Tangled - 8.5/10 - I thought that I had watched this Disney film which is based on Rapunzel, but apparently not. Nice music and a fun story goes a long way.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

343 - Himalaya - 7.5/10 - The son of the village chief dies during a trip and the chief blames his son's best friend. When the time comes to take salt over the mountains to trade for food to see the village through the winter, the two are at odds as to when to leave and who will lead the expedition so they end up with two different groups heading over the mountains. I thought that the scenery was beautiful and the acting was really good.

344 - Elling - 7.5/10 - Elling is a 40 year old who has lived with his mother his entire life and almost never goes out due to his anxiety and the dizziness he gets in public. When his mother dies, he is sent to a state institution where he lives for two years and meets Kjell Barnes, a big man who is obsessed with women, but can hardly talk to them and is still a virgin. The two are set up in a welfare apartment by a social worker who checks up on them and they have to learn to live on their own. They eventually make friends and begin to adjust. It was a funny and entertaining film.

:710:
345 - Il Divo - 7/10 - This film is about Giulio Andreotti, a major figure in Italian politics who served as Premier multiple times and was reputed to have ties to the Mafia and to the deaths of many prominent figures, including a judge, a reporter, another politician and others. The movie is very stylish and well made, but it jumps around a lot to different events. I think that I may have enjoyed it more if I was more familiar and had more of an interest in the subject matter.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

346 - Beaufort - 7.5/10 - The movie takes place in 2000 at the end of the Israeli conflict with Lebanon as the IDF plans a withdrawal from Beaufort Castle. The daily routine for the soldiers based there can turn from tedious to terrifying very quickly. It was a decent film.

347 - Malena - 7.5/10 - In 1940, Renato is a 13 year old Italian boy who gets a new bike, sees his country go to war and first sees Malena, a beautiful young woman whose husband is away fighting in the army. Malena is lusted after by all the men in town and viewed with distaste by the women. She cares for her aging father, but this relationship is strained when she is slandered. Renato is obsessed with her and follows her around a lot. It is kind of a coming of age tale for Renato.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

348 - Frozen 2 - 7.5/10 - This wasn't as good as the original, but it was still enjoyable.

:810:
349 - Ridicule - 8/10 - In order to get backing to drain the swamps on his land and improve life for his peasants, a poor French lord has to travel to Versailles and participate in the vicious game of Wit practiced by the nobles there. This was a pretty good movie

350 - The Milk of Sorrow - 6.5/10 - Fausta is a young Peruvian woman who has inherited a fear of men and rape from her mother, who dies near the beginning of the film. Fausta lives with her uncle and his family, but they don't have enough money to bury her mother. She takes a job with a wealthy pianist to earn money for the burial. I didn't enjoy the movie that much, though it was interesting at times.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:910:
351 - Evil - 9/10 - Erik is a Swedish boy whose stepfather beats him regularly with a belt while his mother lets it happen. Erik gets in trouble for taking out his aggression at school on another boy, severely beating him in the process. He is expelled and his only option is being sent to a distant boarding school. He tries to keep a low profile and stay out of trouble, but the bullying that the older students inflict on the younger students to 'maintain discipline' causes him to fight back. This is an excellent film.

352 - 12 - 8/10 - This is a Russian version of 12 Angry Men. A Chechen boy is on trial for the murder of his stepfather, a Russian officer. Most of the jurors are convinced he is guilty, but one holdout gets them to actually deliberate. It was very Russian and a pretty good film.

353 - Oscar and Lucinda - 6.5/10 - In 1800s Australia, an Anglican priest and a wealthy woman who owns a glass factory share a love of gambling and fall for each other. Some good parts, but not that great overall.

354 - Pennies from Heaven (1936) - 7.5/10 - Bing Crosby stars as a singer/wanderer who tries to help a young girl and her grandfather. I thought it was a fun movie. Edith Fellows does a nice job as the young girl.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

355 - Youth On Parade - 6.5/10 - A group of college students who are part of an experimental program play a joke and pool their abilities to create the perfect student. It works well until the dean and the professor in charge of the program decide to hold a special assembly to honor her. The students have to scramble to find somebody to play the role of Patricia Flynn, the fake student. The movie isn't really very good, but I did enjoy it nonetheless. The musical numbers and characters are generally fun.

356 - Buster - 6.5/10 - The story of Buster Edwards, one of the participants in The Great Train Robbery is told here. Phil Collins stars, but the movie isn't that great.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

357 - Cold War - 8/10 - The movie starts in Poland during the 1940s after the war has ended. A composer/conductor is auditioning women for the company that he is helping put together. He falls for a young woman with a beautiful voice and they eventually start a relationship which gets interrupted due to the Cold War. It is beautifully shot and a good movie overall.

358 - Way Down South - 7.5/10 - In Louisiana in 1854, a plantation owner who was always kind to his slaves dies, leaving the estate to his 11 year old son. However, the executor of the estate is not so kindly and has a plan to sell the slave and other holdings before leaving for France with the money. It is up to the son to get help to stop this from happening. I thought this was a pretty decent film.

:710:
359 - Strategic Air Command - 7/10 - James Stewart stars as a star baseball player who has been married for 5 months when his reserve commission in the air force is activated and he is forced to report for 21 months of duty. There are lots of nice planes and flying sequences, but a so-so story.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

360 - A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood - 8/10 - I went into this with low expectations, but enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Tom Hanks is acceptable as Fred Rogers, but the movie is more about a magazine writer whose perspective changes after becoming acquainted with Rogers.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

361 - Seconds - 7.5/10 - A middle aged banker is going through life aimlessly when he receives a phone call from a friend who is supposed to be dead. This leads him to a group that provides the service of faking people's deaths, doing reconstructive surgery on them and then setting them up with a new life and identity. He finds that the result isn't quite what he hoped for. The movie is not a happy film, but it is well done.

362 - One of Our Aircraft is Missing - 7.5/10 - A British film from 1942 about a flight crew that has to abandon their plane over The Netherlands while returning from a bomb run in Germany. With the aid of friendly locals, they make their was to the sea to try and escape. It starts out slow, but gets better after they parachute out.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:610:
363 - The Hairy Ape - 6/10 - A stoker on a ship is confused when a callous, but beautiful socialite calls him a hairy ape. He leaves the ship in New York and tracks her down to try and find out what she meant. It isn't a very good movie.

364 - The Adventures of Robin Hood (1973) - 8/10 - This animated Disney film did a nice job with the Robin Hood story. It was a fun movie.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

365 - Perri - 8/10 - This is a pretty good documentary about a squirrel named Perri from her time as a baby through finding a mate a year later along with all the dangers that come with forest life. Great scenery and a really nice soundtrack.

366 - Manhattan Merry-Go-Round - 6.5/10 - Gangsters take over a record company and put the muscle on some of the performers.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

367 - Lady on a Train - 8/10 - A woman witnesses a murder through the window from her seat on a train coming into New York City. Nobody believes her when she reports the murder so she tries to recruit a famous mystery writer and then to investigate the murder herself. There is plenty of humor and action and I thought this was a fun movie.