Movies

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Re: Movies

Post by Rusty »

:710:
4 - The Commuter - 7/10 - Liam Neeson plays a former police officer who gets involved in a plot to kill a murder witness who is aboard his commuter train. His family is threatened and could be harmed if he doesn't do what a mysterious woman tells him to do. It was decent.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:8510:
5 - They Shall Not Grow Old - 8.5/10 - Peter Jackson produced and directed this World War I documentary where they took hundreds of hours of footage from WWI and even more hours of interviews with survivors and pieced together a 100 minute film showing what life was like for the typical British soldier during the war. Much of this footage was previously unseen and they have restored and colorized most of what they used. It was a very interesting film and the 30 minute 'Making of' documentary that followed the film was also interesting. The film was not quite as good as I was expecting, but it was still very, very good.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:7510:
6 - Glass - 7.5/10 - The sequel to Unbreakable and Split sees the main characters from each movie captured and placed in a psychiatric hospital where a doctor tries to convince them that they don't really have special abilities. Kind of slow through much of it, but overall I liked the film.

7 - Christopher Robin - 7.5/10 - A grown up Christopher Robin now lives in London with his wife and daughter and is now an overly serious adult stuck in a job that he doesn't necessarily like. Then Winnie the Pooh comes in search of him. It reminded me of Hook with Robin Williams and was a decent movie.

:810:
8 - Isle of Dogs - 8/10 - In the future, one large Japanese city has exiled all dogs to a big garbage dump in the water called Trash Island. 12 year old Atari goes in search of his missing dog and is aided by a pack of dogs who live on the island. I thought this Wes Anderson movie was kind of weird, but in a good way. I liked it a lot.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

9 - Downsizing - 7/10 - A method is found to shrink people to about 12 cm which makes feeding and housing them much simpler. This movie has gotten kind of poor reviews, but I thought it was entertaining enough.

:6510:
10 - First Reformed - 6.5/10 - The minister at a 250 year old church that has very low attendance starts questioning his beliefs and faith after meeting with a pregnant woman and her activist husband. A pretty depressing movie that I didn't find all that interesting.

11 - A Quiet Place - 8/10 - Most people are dead now as creatures who hunt by sound and have very sensitive hearing now roam the country. One family tries to survive and sets up home on an abandoned farm. This was a nice thriller.

:910:
12 - RBG - 9/10 - A really nice documentary about Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

13 - Black KKKlansman - 8/10 - Spike Lee's film about Ron Stallworth, a black Colorado police officer who infiltrated the KKK in the 1970s is pretty entertaining. John David does an excellent job as Stallworth.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

14 - Teen Titans Go to the Movies - 7.5/10 - I thought this movie was a lot of fun. I've never seen the cartoon, but I do read the comics and I liked the movie.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

15 - Panic in the Streets - 8/10 - When a body washes up in the river in New York with two bullet holes, it seems pretty cut and dry. However, an autopsy reveals that he had a contagious plague and the search is on to find those he came in contact with. A pretty entertaining drama.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

16 - The Umbrellas of Cherbourg - 8/10 - A French musical about a young couple in love. The young woman's mother owns an umbrella shop where her daughter works. The young man is a mechanic at a local garage. He is drafted and goes away to war and she finds that she is pregnant. This was a very nice movie and every line is sung, which worked here.

17 - The Enchanted Cottage - 7.5/10 - An injured pilot and a homely woman find love in a cottage reputed to be enchanted. After they are married, they start seeing each other in a new way. This was a decent romance, set during WWII.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

18 - Anonymous - 7.5/10 - Edward de Vere is proposed as the true author of Shakespeare's plays and then his story is told. They did a great with the costumes and setting, though the story was a bit dull.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

19 - Cheers for Miss Bishop - 7/10 - This movie follows Ella Bishop's life from graduating at Midwestern University, becoming a teacher there, problems with her fiance, raising her niece and more from the 1880s to 1930s. It was kind of a dull movie, though not horrible.

20 - Gulliver's Travels - 6.5/10 - This adapts the first part of the novel. I enjoyed the beginning, but the overall film is rather primitive. It is the second animated feature film so it isn't totally unexpected.

21 - Brigadoon - 7.5/10 - Two New Yorkers are hunting in the highlands of Scotland when they run across the village of Brigadoon which shouldn't exist and seems like a place out of the past. This is a classic musical with plenty of singing and dancing and stars Gene Kelly. I thought it was pretty entertaining.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

22 - 7 Faces of Dr. Lao - 7/10 - Dr. Lao shows up in a western town near the beginning of the 20th Century and brings his circus with him. The town is facing a vote whether to sell out to a wealthy speculator. Tony Randall plays Dr. Lao and a number of other circus characters. I enjoyed the movie, though the special effects weren't that great and the story was a bit corny.

23 - Tom Thumb - 7/10 - An enjoyable fairy tale about a childless couple who gain wishes from a forest queen and wish a thumb sized son into existence.

24 - The Criminal Code - 7/10 - A young man kills another man while defending his girlfriend and ends up being sentenced to 10 years in prison. Six years later, the D.A. becomes the new warden. I didn't like the warden character that much, but the movie was a decent pre-code crime drama.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:8510:
25 - The Mark of Zorro (1940) - 8.5/10 - Tyrone Power does a nice job as Zorro and as Don Diego. This is a very nice version of Zorro. Good acting and action.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

26 - King Rat - 8/10 - Peter Marlowe is a British POW at a camp in Singapore during WWII. He befriends an American corporal named King who wheels and deals in order to live a relatively lavish lifestyle in a place where most are just trying to survive.. I thought they did a pretty good job adapting Clavell's novel.

27 - Royal Wedding - 7/10 - Fred Astaire and Jane Powell star as a brother and sister singing/dancing pair who perform in stage musicals and headline shows. They travel by boar for performances in London during Queen Elizabeth's wedding. While in London they each find love. I've seen better Astaire movies, but this one was okay. It features the well known Dancing on the Ceiling number in his hotel room and a few recognizable numbers.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

28 - Romance on the High Seas - 7.5/10 - A woman is suspicious that her husband is cheating on her so she hires another woman to impersonate her on a cruise while she stays behind in New York to try and catch her husband. Meanwhile, he suspects that she is cheating and hires a private detective to go on the cruise and spy on his wife. The impersonator and the detective fall in love with each other without suspecting who they really are. This was an entertaining romantic comedy starring Doris Day.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

29 - The Perils of Pauline - 7.5/10 - A fictionalized biography of Pearl White, a popular Hollywood star during the silent film era. She starred in many serials including the Perils of Pauline. The movie was pretty entertaining and had a fair amount of humor along with a lot of stunts.

30 - The Desert Song - 6.5/10 - An outlaw in North Africa fights Nazis and Arabs near the beginning of World War II. It is an adaptation of a 1920s opera and while it has a lot of decent elements, I didn't think they mixed that well and I found the movie kind of dull.

31 - Days of Glory - 7/10 - A group of guerrilla fighters in Russia battle the Germans in 1941. This was Gregory Peck's first movie and it was okay, though not particularly noteworthy otherwise.