Movies

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Re: Movies

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

Rusty wrote::810:
51 - Deadpool - 8/10 - This was a fun movie. Pretty violent as expected, but fun. It actually wasn't as crazy as I thought it would be.
They greenlit a 2nd movie before they released the first movie...
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:810:
53 - John Wick - 8/10 - A retired hit man who escaped the life to marry the woman he loved finds himself back in the game soon after his wife dies of cancer. The people who mess with him soon learn to regret it. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. Lots of action and Reeves does a nice job as Wick.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:6510:
54 - The World's End - 6.5/10 - - Gary King gets his old mates back together to try and complete the Golden Mile, a pub crawl through the 12 pubs of Newton Haven ending at The World's End. They tried to complete the Golden Mile over 20 years earlier, but stopped after nine pubs. Along the way, they run into robots who have been infiltrating the town. I didn't think the movie was really all that funny much of the time. Certainly not in the category of Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead. It was mostly kind of boring.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:710:
55 - The Maze Runner - 7/10 - A young man wakes up in an elevator which rises up to a glade surrounded by large walls. The young man has no memory of who he is and finds himself among a group of young men just like himself. The only way out appears to be through a huge maze with walls that change formation each night and with vicious monsters that come out at night. The movie was okay, though not as entertaining as the book.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:7510:
56 - Chappie - 7.5/10 - While not as good as District 9, I did enjoy this movie about a robotic police force in South Africa where the inventor creates a true artificial intelligence and turns a damaged robot police officer into a person. Chappie gets some of his education from criminals, but remains a good being at heart. It was a fun movie.

:710:
57 - Jupiter Ascending - 7/10 - In a sort of futuristic Cinderella story, a young woman who does drudge work for her uncle to help make ends meet for herself and her mother finds herself the target of alien bounty hunters who are sure that she is the reincarnation of the Queen of their stellar empire. This movie got panned quite a bit when it came out, but I liked it. It wasn't incredibly original, but it had great visuals, likable characters and a decent enough story.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:8510:
58 - Inside Out - 8.5.10 - A family of three moves to San Francisco from Minnesota and the 11 year old daughter tries to make the best of it, but misses her friends, playing hockey and her old home. Most of the story takes place in her head where Joy, Sadness, Fear, Anger and Disgust run things from headquarters. I thought this was a very nice movie from Pixar and very sentimental as well.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

59 - Fast & Furious - 8/10 - For some reason, I hadn't seen any of the movies in this series after Tokyo Drift, but I'm fixing that now. This one was a lot of fun and mainly features Dom and Brian as they try to bring down a drug trafficker who was involved with the death of someone close to them. Plenty of action and plenty of fun.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

60 - Fast Five - 8/10 - The action moves to Brazil where Dom, Brian and Mia meet up with some of their old crew for a heist that goes bad. They are up against a criminal kingpin, lots of police who are on the kingpin's payroll and an elite squad of U.S. Federal Agents in Brazil to apprehend them. Again, lots of action and lots of fun.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

61 - Despicable Me - 8/10 - I thought this was a lot of fun. The minions were very entertaining, but the super villain who gets changed by three little girls is fun, too.

62 - Despicable Me 2 - 8/10 - A bit different with Gru going undercover to catch a bad guy, but still lots of fun.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

63 - The Monuments Men - 7.5/10 - George Clooney, Matt Damon, Bill Murray and others star in this film about a group of soldiers during World War II who try to recover and preserve stolen art looted by the Nazis. It is based on a true story, though great liberties were taken. Still, it was pretty entertaining and a decent movie.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

64 - Tomorrowland - 7.5/10 - George Clooney headlines this movie about a man who attended the New York World's Fair in 1964 when he was a boy and discovered another world that was much more futuristic. Now, he's a cynical middle aged man who has been exiled from Tomorrowland. I enjoyed the movie and thought it was fun. The best character was the little girl robot who would not be out of place in a Terminator movie. Also, what they did with the Eiffel Tower was cool.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

65 - Big Hero 6 - 8/10 - A teenage genius/slacker who graduated from high school at 13 spends his time with underground bot fighting until he is convinced by his older brother to try to join him at an advanced university. The story takes place in San Fransokyo, a futuristic blend of San Francisco and Tokyo. After losing his brother, Hiro is despondent, but eventually starts trying to find out why his brother died. This was a good movie with excellent animation and even has a Stan Lee cameo.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

66 - Abe Lincoln in Illinois - 8/10 - Raymond Massey does an excellent job as Lincoln in a film that covers the time from where left home until his election to the White House. It skips over parts here and there, but does a nice job establishing his character. The cast around him is pretty good, especially those playing Stephen Douglas and Mary Todd.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

67 - Rio - 7.5/10 - A blue macaw who was shipped as a chick to Minnesota ends up getting adopted by a little girl and they become best friends over the next 15 years. A scientist from Brazil finds them and wants to bring Blu down to Rio to mate with another rare blue macaw. The movie didn't really stand out as anything special, but it was entertaining enough and had decent animation.

68 - Maleficent - 7.5/10 - The story of the evil witch from Disney gets a new twist as it turns out she isn't quite the villain she has been portrayed as. Maleficent was a young faerie who befriended a human boy, but he eventually betrayed her and took her wings. Maleficent is angry and becomes a leader of the faerie as they defend themselves from the incursion of the humans in their realm. She also curses the child of the man she once was friends with. The girl, Aurora, is also known as Sleeping Beauty due to the curse. Angelina Jolie did a nice job as Maleficent. The story wasn't bad and the visuals were pretty good.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

69 - Annie (2014) - 7.5/10 - This remake has gotten panned a lot, probably at least in part for updating the story to modern times and having a black girl play Annie. Also, they used a lot of auto tuning with the songs. Cameron Diaz was pretty bad through most of the movie, but overall I enjoyed the film. Quvenzhané Wallis did a nice job and was very likable as Annie. Jamie Foxx was good as Mr. Stacks (the modern day Daddy Warbucks).