hows your day going ?

This forum is to jibber and jabber
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

See...I knew they couldn't just win the game.
I hate it when that happens. :(
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

Spent most of my day setting up my dads new computer, why am I the only one in my family that can run a computer properly?
WebPayne

Post by WebPayne »

What did he get?
Hella
Posting Alot
Posting Alot

Post by Hella »

Psychotic_Carp wrote:why am I the only one in my family that can run a computer properly?
I'm in the same boat!

I had to drive two hours to my Grandmother's house to show her how to open solitaire on her PC because she swore up and down that it was not where I told her it was. It was.

I get phone calls from my parents in Jersey, sister in PA all the time asking me to fix their machines over the phone. That'll work. :|
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Hella wrote:
Psychotic_Carp wrote:why am I the only one in my family that can run a computer properly?
I'm in the same boat!

I had to drive two hours to my Grandmother's house to show her how to open solitaire on her PC because she swore up and down that it was not where I told her it was. It was.

I get phone calls from my parents in Jersey, sister in PA all the time asking me to fix their machines over the phone. That'll work. :|
Ny brother is very computer literate and my parents are able to get by, my dad moreso than my mom. My dad is able to do lots of stuff and has been using computers for about 20 years now. My mom didn't switch over to typing papers on a computer instead of a typewriter until the late 1990s, but gets by with her iMac for the limited things she uses it for - email and word processing mostly.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

he got a dell dude (with the windows media center)

did you drive over the river and through the snow?.... :P

you might want to install tightvnc on her computer

http://www.tightvnc.com/
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I actually packed my lunch early this morning and stuck it in the fridge. I usually pack it just before I leave. So as a result, I forget to take it with me to work which I hadn't done in a couple of years. I also didn't have my id badge since I keep it attached to my lunch bag until I leave so that I won;t forget it. I knew that no one would even notice that I wasn't wearing it, though. Plus, I went to the cafeteria at the end of the lunch period to get a slice of pizza and some fries and they gave them to me free. Free food - yay!

I've been kind of tired this evening from not getting enough sleep lately. I'm looking forward to vacation when I can catch up somewhat. It's starting to snow again, though, so I'll probably have to get up early to do the drive and sidewalks.
Hella
Posting Alot
Posting Alot

Post by Hella »

Psychotic_Carp wrote:he got a dell dude (with the windows media center)
Ali's computer died last night, and we ordered her a new Dell this morning.

It's going to take a while to bring her over to a Mac. :|
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

Hella wrote:

what did it do? chances are I could easily fix it. There is no point to moving her over to a mac from what they say the macs might start moving to the intel chip in jan. once that happenes you can just install the os on it so she can try it, and you can have a dual boot system.
Hella
Posting Alot
Posting Alot

Post by Hella »

Psychotic_Carp wrote:
Hella wrote:

what did it do? chances are I could easily fix it. There is no point to moving her over to a mac from what they say the macs might start moving to the intel chip in jan. once that happenes you can just install the os on it so she can try it, and you can have a dual boot system.
It was her machine's time. When I am down there next week I am going to put the old hard drive into another machine to get her files.

She got a good deal on the new one, and it saves a ton of aggravation of getting the old one fixed.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

What kind of processor did it have and what did it do?
Hella
Posting Alot
Posting Alot

Post by Hella »

Psychotic_Carp wrote:What kind of processor did it have and what did it do?
I really don't know. The machine is 3 or 4 years old, and it would have cost her 200 some odd dollars for Geek Squad to try and fix it, and for another $100 she could just get a new machine. She then spent another $200 on top of that to get a better model and free shipping. When I am down in Houston next week I am going to look at it, and see what I am able to salvage, if anything.

She needed a new machine, there was so much crap going on in the background, stuff I couldn't stop or even know what it was doing. It was all crap that was preloaded when she got it, and I didn't have my discs to format it. This way, she starts off with a good machine, I'll put the old hard drive in there so she can get her files, then I am going to make the old hard drive a slave drive. I can also install what I want on her machine in the way of virus and spyware protection to make sure it stays safe and secure until I am living down there full time when I watch it all the time.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

Im too cheap to do that, I would have wiped the hard drive and started over if i had to.
Hella
Posting Alot
Posting Alot

Post by Hella »

Psychotic_Carp wrote:Im too cheap to do that, I would have wiped the hard drive and started over if i had to.
She would loose way too many pictures and files. Plus, the computer wouldn't even turn on. I think it is a mother board issue, but it's hard to tell from 1,500 miles away. :?
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

Always backup the things most important to you

Its probably just the switch in the back or its not plugged in :P