Book Reviews

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Book Reviews

Post by Rusty »

This topic is for discussing books you've read, favorite books, series, books you couldn't get into, etc., etc.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Re: Books

Post by Rusty »

I'll start it off with the last couple of books that I read. They were Kris Longknife: Mutineer and Kris Longknife: Deserter. These are the first two books in a series by Mike Shepherd (aka Mike Moscoe) and deal with a young woman who has just graduated from her planet's (space) naval academy. Her father is the prime minister of the planet, her mother is a trend-setting socialite, her family is very wealthy, and 2 of her greatgrandfathers are extremely well known war heroes/generals.

If you like science fiction military adventure (such as David Weber's Honor Harrington series or David Drake's Cinnabar Navy series) then you'll probably like these. Both books were very entertaining and kept me up late reading. I wrote to the author and received a reply later the same day. I also found out that there was an earlier trilogy dealing with the greatgrandfathers and how they became war heroes. I've ordered those books and look forward to reading them when they arrive.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

last book i read was for PHP, i dont think many people here will be reading that any time soon :(
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

I'm just about finishing Dashiel Hammet's The Thin Man,
which I thoroughly enjoy. It's a crime noir book set in the 1950's and it's just so funny in it's jargon.
For example, if someone drank too much, instead of saying " he's drunk" they'll say " he's tight".
They also refer to junkies as hop heads and I have no idea what a hop head is.
I'll be done with it by tomorrow and then see what I can find.
I'm a little limited in my selections because I have to buy from used book stores mainly unless I order from Amazon which I want to do with the fantasy books Kurt recommended to me in the Runaways thread.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

s and it's just so funny in it's jargon.
For example, if someone drank too much, instead of saying " he's drunk" they'll say " he's tight".
They also refer to junkies as hop heads and I have no idea what a hop head is.
I'll be done with it by tomorrow and then see what I can find.
I'm a little limited in my selections because I have to buy from used book stor I'll be done with it by tomorrow and then see what I can find.
I'm a little limited in my selections because I have to buy from used book storSs and it's just so funny in it's jargon.
For example, if someone drank too much, instead of saying " he's drunk" they'll say "

The new Runaways #1 just came out Wednesday. It is in my pile of comics to be read.
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

kurt culler wrote:
The new Runaways #1 just came out Wednesday. It is in my pile of comics to be read.
I know I ordered it. Plus I read the third TPB already of volume 1.
It was really a shame that Alex was the lousy mole!
It'll be interesting to see what they do with the new volume.
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

Okay I have a small pile of comics to read tomorrow.
For night time reading I'm reading a crime thriller called Critical Space by Greg Rucka. Very funny, nice pace, and intriguing characters.

Dave, you really need to read more than PHP manuals...boy you need to live a little!
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

fluffy wrote:Okay I have a small pile of comics to read tomorrow.
For night time reading I'm reading a crime thriller called Critical Space by Greg Rucka. Very funny, nice pace, and intriguing characters.

Dave, you really need to read more than PHP manuals...boy you need to live a little!
i read comics, i hate novels :(

i tried to add a town map to the ADR MOD some of it didnt come out right :( (you can see it at the test board go to your char sheet and click the image at the bottom
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

Psychotic_Carp wrote:

i tried to add a town map to the ADR MOD some of it didnt come out right :( (you can see it at the test board go to your char sheet and click the image at the bottom
When I click on the little map it goes to new page that says click here to go to previous page. :?
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

fluffy wrote:
Psychotic_Carp wrote:

When I click on the little map it goes to new page that says click here to go to previous page. :?
i had to make you an admin there, you should be able to see it now
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

Psychotic_Carp wrote:
WoW that is really beautiful babe. Really pretty. I tried some of the query buttons for fun but I thought the town looked SWEET!
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

fluffy wrote:
Psychotic_Carp wrote:
WoW that is really beautiful babe. Really pretty. I tried some of the query buttons for fun but I thought the town looked SWEET!
it does seem cool but there are problems with it :( if you try to get a promotion you get an sql error :( i think i need to upgrade the adr but i think im going to hold off on that
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

fluffy wrote:Okay I have a small pile of comics to read tomorrow.

Did you know that Greg Rucka writes comic books too?

I'm rereading a book by Walter Jon Williams called The Praxis. It's about an empire that is thousands of years old and made up of many different species, including humans, which is about to break apart. I'm rereading it since it has been over a year since I first read it and I've got the sequel now and want to get back up to speed.
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

kurt culler wrote: Did you know that Greg Rucka writes comic books too?

I'm rereading a book by Walter Jon Williams called The Praxis. It's about an empire that is thousands of years old and made up of many different species, including humans, which is about to break apart. I'm rereading it since it has been over a year since I first read it and I've got the sequel now and want to get back up to speed.
No I didn't know Greg Rucka writes comic books too. Unbelievable.

The Praxis sounds great..I'm going to see if my local bookseller ( Frank) has some of these books you've mentioned.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

fluffy wrote: No I didn't know Greg Rucka writes comic books too. Unbelievable.

The Praxis sounds great..I'm going to see if my local bookseller ( Frank) has some of these books you've mentioned.
The sequel to The Praxis is called The Sundering. There will be a third book in the series eventually, I believe. Greg Rucka has an independent comic called Queen and Country which I haven't read, but he has also written a few Batman comics and Elektra.