Movies

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Re: Movies

Post by Rusty »

:7510:
186 - The Docks of New York - 7.5/10 - A stoker for an ocean vessel gets one night off in New York after they dock. He rescues a woman who tried to drown herself and then becomes involved with her when she recovers. It was a pretty good silent film.

:8510:
187 - The Big Heat - 8.5/10 - Detective Sergeant Dave Bannion gets a tip that a police officer who recently committed suicide may have been murdered. He doesn't believe it, but investigates and gets caught up in corruption and a crime ring that endangers his family and others. This is a very good film noir movie.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:810:
188 - The Sniper - 8/10 - A noir film about a man named Eddie who has some psychological issues. He seeks help after burning his hand and when he is denied help, his issues lead him to start killing young women. A city wide police search follows. The film was pretty good.

189 - PT 109 - 7.5/10 - The story of JFK and his time on PT 109 is a decent movie. Not spectacular or over the top, but good.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

190 - Stolen Kisses - 7.5/10 - This movie is about Antoine Doinel, the boy from Truffaut's The 400 Blows. He is now a young man of around 20 and is being discharged from the army for being unsuitable. He gets a job as the night clerk at a hotel, but doesn't last long so he gets another job working for a private detective agency. The movie was pretty good.

191 - The Illusionist (2010) - 8/10 - A french stage magician/illusionist is struggling to make a living as he travels to Scotland and starts visiting pubs, music halls and other places to sparse crowds. He meets a young woman who thinks he is a real magician and they start a relationship. I enjoyed the movie a lot.

:710:
192 - Above and Beyond - 7/10 - The story of Paul Tibbets, the man who piloted the Enola Gay and dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima. It was a decent movie, though a bit dull at times.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:610:
193 - I Dream Too Much - 6/10 - A struggling composer gets drunk and marries a young woman with a powerful singing voice. She becomes an opera star, but he can't sell anything that he writes. Not a very good movie, even with Henry Fonda as the composer.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

194 - Spider-Man Far From Home - 8.5/10 - I thought that this was pretty entertaining. A good followup to Endgame.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

195 - Bombardier - 6/10 - A 1943 propaganda film about bombardiers. It was watchable, but kind of stiff.

196 - That Girl From Paris - 6/10 - Another Lily Pons vehicle about an opera singer who flees from an arranged marriage and ends up on a cruise ship from France to the U.S. where immigration officials try to track her down. Lots of singing and humor, though not really that interesting a movie.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

197 - Can You Ever Forgive Me? - 7.5/10 - Lee Israel was a biographer who fell on hard times. She started forging letters fro famous people and selling them as real. She was very successful for a while, but eventually got caught and was convicted of forgery. It was a decent movie.

198 - War of the Worlds (1953) - 7.5/10 - I thought this was a decent adaptation of the classic novel with good special effects.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

199 - How to Train Your Dragon 3: The Hidden World - 8/10 - A new threat to the dragons of Berk arises in the form of a dragon hunter. Toothless gets a girlfriend. Hiccup and Astrid discover the hidden world of dragons. This is another good sequel.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

200 - Welcome to Marwen - 7/10 - A man who suffered a severe beating and memory loss has created a miniature Belgian village where he photographs stories using dolls. The movie has a lot of action sequences to show his imagination. It is a decent film which is based on a true story.

:6510:
201 - The Fallen Sparrow - 6.5/10 - A noirish film from 1943 about a former soldier recovering from his time as a Nazi prisoner who heads to NYC after learning that a friend of his was killed. I thought it started out pretty well, but became less interesting as it progressed.

202 - This Land is Mine - 8.5/10 - A timid schoolteacher in occupied France finds the courage to stand up to the Nazis. I thought it was really good.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

203 - The Spanish Main - 7/10 - A pirate film with a good Dutch sea captain turned pirate, a bad Spanish governor in Cartagena and a pretty Contessa. It was decent, though not spectacular.

204 - Instant Family - 8/10 - Pete and Ellie are a happily married couple who renovate homes for a living. They decide to look into fostering and then adopting a child and sign up for classes to learn more about it. They end up with more than they expected when they meet a teenage girl who has a younger brother and sister and the couple ends up with all three children. This was a very good movie about the ups and downs of the adoption process.

205 - Once - 8.5/10 - I got the urge to watch this again for the first time in over a decade. I still enjoy it a lot.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

206 - Once Upon a Honeymoon - 7.5/10 - Ginger Rogers plays an American who is about to marry an Austrian Baron who happens to be a Nazi agent just prior to WWII. Cary Grant plays a radio news broadcaster who lets her know of his Nazi ties and follows the couple as they visit various countries which subsequently fall to Germany. The two fall in love and face a number of trials along the way. I thought it was pretty good.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

207 - The Wandering Earth - 7/10 - The sun is dying and the Earth is endangered so a project is created to push the Earth out of its orbit and send it on a journey to a neighboring star system and its new home. 17 years later, problems arise as Earth approaches Jupiter. Good special effects, but the story is so-so.

:6510:
208 - The Kid Who Would Be King - 6.5/10 - A watchable, but subpar version of King Arthur in the modern day using middle school kids. Patrick Stewart was in there briefly, though he seemed a bit out of place.

209 - Bumblebee - 7.5/10 - This is a Transformers prequel and takes place mostly in 1987. It isn't a great movie, but I thought it was fun enough. Hailee Steinfeld is pretty good as the lead character.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

210 - Princess O'Rourke - 7.5/10 - A princess from a European country overrun by Nazis during WWII comes to New York and, through a mishap, befriends a pilot who is about to join the Air Force. The pilot quickly falls in love with her. I thought it was fun.

211 - The Mule - 8/10 - Clint Eastwood stars as a 90 year old Korean War veteran who is estranged from his family due to years of prioritizing work over family. He takes a job as a drug mule to earn money to help pay for his granddaughter's wedding and to provide for his friends and himself. He is very successful, but the downside eventually catches up to him. It was pretty good.

212 - Us - 7.5/10 - This wasn't nearly as good as Get Out, but it was still pretty entertaining. A family is on vacation at the beach and are attacked by a family of duplicates. I thought it was kind of predictable, especially the ending, but that didn't detract too much from it for me.

213 - Skyscraper - 7/10 - A fairly simple and straightforward disaster/action movie, but I thought it was fun.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

214 - Searching - 8/10 - A 16 year old girl goes missing and her father searches for her, utilizing her online accounts to help track down friends and look for clues. I thought it was a pretty clever and interesting film. John Cho does a nice job in the lead role.

215 - Game Night - 8/10 - Max and Annie hold a weekly game night with friends, but the game night goes wrong when Max's brother is in town and holds it. Max's brother sets up a kidnapping mystery game that ends up with a real kidnapping and the rest of the players have to try and rescue him. I thought that this comedy adventure was a lot of fun.

216 - Train to Busan - 8.5/10 - This is a really good zombie apocalypse film that takes place in South Korea. A father is taking his young daughter on the train to see her mother on her birthday when the zombie plague hits.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

217 - Hotel Transylvania 2 - 8/10 - I thought that this was a fun sequel. Mavis and Jonathan get married and have a son. They live in Drac's hotel in Transylvania. Their son's fangs haven't come in by age 5 and Mavis wants to move the family to California so that Dennis can live a normal life, but he doesn't want to leave and neither do his father and grandfather.

218 - Hotel Transylvania 3 - 7/10 - This one wasn't as good as the first two. The whole group of family and friends go on a Monster Cruise where the captain is secretly a Van Helsing.

219 - Fate is the Hunter - 8/10 - When an airplane crashes shortly after takeoff, pilot error is suspected, but an airline executive refuses to believe it and investigates on his own to discover the cause. I thought it was well acted and entertaining.