Movies

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Re: Movies

Post by Rusty »

:610:
217 - Skyscraper (1928) - 6/10 - Two construction workers (Alan Hale and William Boyd) who are helping build a new skyscraper are friends, but spend a lot of time pranking each other. When one of them gets a girl, but is injured in an accident, the other one tries to help him overcome his injury, though using a method in line with their friendship. The comedy is exaggerated here, but the film is still fun and I enjoyed it, even if it isn't really a very good movie by today's standards. It did really look like they were up in a skyscraper, though.

:810:
218 - The Motorcycle Diaries (2004) - 8/10 - Che Guevara and Alberto Grenada set out on a long quest in 1952 to travel by motorcycle from Buenos Aires to Caracas, visiting Lima, Machu Picchu, Cuzco, and many other places along the way. They crash a lot, spend lots of time with people in the areas they visit, and spend time working at a leper colony. It is a big travelogue of a movie with great sights along the way and the trip helped form some of Guevara's revolutionary ideas in his mind. The revolutionary ideas seemed kind of secondary to the buddy picture and travel aspects of the film. Gael García Bernal and Rodrigo de la Serna had pretty good chemistry as the two friends making the trip and I enjoyed the film quite a bit.

:910:
219 - The Father (2020) - 9/10 - Anthony Hopkins gives an outstanding performance as an elderly man with dementia whose daughter tries to take care of him while still living her own life. The techniques that they used to portray the confusion that dementia can leave one with were very effective. Olivia Colman was great as his daughter and the rest of the cast was very good as well. This is an excellent film, but I just hope that I never have to live through it as either a caretaker or the person experiencing it.

220 - Topsy-Turvy (1999) - 8/10 - In the mid-1880s, Gilbert and Sullivan were having a few problems. Their latest work wasn't doing well due to the stifling heat wave London was experiencing. The pair did not have a replacement comic opera ready and were at an impasse - Sullivan did not like Gilbert's proposed opera and refused to set it to music. Inspiration eventually struck and the result was The Mikado. The film delves into the relationship between the pair and their partner who ran the theater as well as the various cast members. It also has plenty of singing from rehearsals to performances. I'm not a big Gilbert and Sullivan fan, but I enjoyed the film quite a bit.

:710:
221 - Operation Petticoat (1959) - 7/10 - Cary Grant stars as an admiral who reminisces about the adventure the submarine he commanded had shortly after the U.S. entered WWII. His sub was sunk at the base in the Philippines and while they were able to raise it, they weren't able to fully repair it before having to leave the base to evade the enemy. They embarked on a trip with an undersized crew, a group of nurses, and a first officer with a flair for 'acquiring' needed materials. The movie is silly, but I thought it was fun.

222 - The Man Who Would Be King (1975) - 6/10 - Sean Connery and Michael Caine star as two former British soldiers in India who decide to travel across the mountains in search of a remote country known as Kafiristan where they plan to help a local to power in order to gain wealth for themselves. They enlist the aid of journalist Rudyard Kipling and sign a contract stating that they'll give up alcohol and women for the duration of their adventure. The proceed to have an adventure with bandits, blizzards, an avalanche, and so on. I didn't really find the adventure aspects that interesting much of the time, though there were some decent sights. Most of the humor didn't really seem that funny to me either. It wasn't all bad, but I found it highly overrated from other reviews that I've seen.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:6510:
223 - Man of a Thousand Faces (1957) - 6.5/10 - James Cagney stars in this biopic of silent film star Lon Chaney. Cagney was too old for the role, but did a nice job, especially the parts in makeup/costume and performing. I think that they spent too much time on his relationship with his first wife, Cleva (whom he married when she was 15 years old), and not enough time on his acting career. I liked the second half of the film more than the first half. Overall it was a decent film, though it could have been much better.

224 - The Yellow Star: The Persecution of the Jews in Europe - 1933-1945 (1980) - 7/10 - A look at what happened to Jews in Germany and Nazi controlled Europe with lots of footage that I hadn't seen before. There wasn't really much in here that I was unaware of, but it puts it all together in a linear fashion.

225 - Better Days (2019) - 8/10 - This Chinese film follows a quiet high school senior named Chen Nian who is preparing for the national college entrance exam which is 60 days away. She witnesses a classmate commit suicide due to bullying and soon becomes the next target of the bullies. She befriends a tough young man from the street and he decides to protect her, though the bullies can be persistent. The two develop feelings for each other along the way. I thought that this was a pretty good film. The lead actors and the director each did a nice job. The story itself isn't necessarily anything special, but the film elements come together nicely.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:7510:
226 - The Trial of the Chicago 7 (2020) - 7.5/10 - The film takes place in 1969 at the trial of the eight people charged with conspiracy and other crimes relating to protests and riots at the Democratic National Convention the previous year. There were also plenty of flashbacks to the events in 1968. I thought that the film started out very well, but didn't like some of the changes that were made for dramatic effect. I still enjoyed the film, but think that the changes detract from the overall story. The final scene didn't work for me since it seemed too unrealistic (and was indeed fabricated). Dellinger's actions in one scene were also inconsistent with who he was and there was a real event they could have used in its place. I liked the performances of Sacha Baron Cohen and Jeremy Strong as Abbie Hoffman and Jerry Rubin. Frank Langella was funny as the judge. I think it is a good movie, but had the potential to be much better.

227 - Mank (2020) - 7/10 - Gary Oldman stars as Herman Mankiewicz, a screenwriter in Hollywood who was a well known script doctor, but also wrote a number of scripts of his own in the 1920s and 1930s. He was also an alcoholic and gambler. He worked on The Wizard of Oz script, but didn't receive credit. He also wrote Citizen Kane and shared the screen credit for that with Orson Welles. This movie tells the story of his writing the script while recovering from an accident. It also delves into his past relationships in Hollywood through numerous flashbacks from the 1930s. Oldman does a pretty nice job in his role and I think many of the other actors did as well, including Tuppence Middleton as his wife Sara, Arliss Howard as Louis B. Mayer, and others. The film has a number of good points in addition to the acting, including doing a pretty decent job making it feel like the era. However, I thought that the story itself was kind of dull and not as engaging as it could have been. Also, while the individual performances were good, Sara was actually slightly older than her husband (each turning 43 in 1940), but Oldman at 62 was 29 years older than Middleton (and about 28 years older than Amanda Seyfried whose Marion Davies was actually older than either Mankiewicz). That age differential did detract from the verisimilitude. I did like the film (more than Citizen Kane even), but it could have been better.

228 - The Mole Agent (2020) - 7/10 - In Chile, a woman is concerned that her mother is being mistreated in a nursing home and having some of her possessions stolen. She hires a private investigator to investigate and he places an ad looking for an 80-90 year old man who can use technology and ends up hiring Sergio. Sergio is 83 and will move into the nursing home for a few months undercover to look into the allegations and document the conditions there. This is part of a documentary and the film crew is already at the nursing home under the pretext of making a documentary about nursing home life which is what the real documentary ends up actually becoming more than the undercover work. I thought that this was a good film and Sergio is a pretty compassionate spy who befriends quite a few residents, many of whom are lonely.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

229 - Sound of Metal (2020) - 7.5/10 - Ruben is a drummer whose hearing is rapidly deteriorating. His girlfriend checks him into a place that houses a deaf community so that he can learn to use ASL and exist without hearing, but he still has hopes of getting his hearing fixed and returning to his former life. Riz Ahmed did a great job in the lead role and his interactions at the deaf community were very good, especially those with the kids and with Joe, the guy in charge. I enjoyed the movie and think it is very good, though not quite as good as some of the other Best Picture nominees.

230 - Borat: Subsequent Moviefilm (2020) - 7/10 - I hated the first Borat film, but found myself laughing a lot during the first half of this one. I got a bit bored with it after that, though there were still some amusing bits thrown in. Overall, I enjoyed it and thought that Maria Bakalova was very good, but I certainly wouldn't classify this as more than a decent movie.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

231 - The One and Only Ivan (2020) - 7/10 - Ivan is a silverback gorilla living in a shopping mall as the main attraction of a small circus. The show isn't doing well so new animals are brought in, including a baby elephant named Ruby. Ivan and the others start dreaming more of being free. It's definitely aimed at kids (and is on Disney+) and is kind of predictable, but I thought it was a decent film and enjoyed it.

:310:
232 - Time (2020) - 3/10 - Rob Rich and his wife committed armed robbery back in the 1990s. She took a plea bargain and got out of prison after a few years. Rob got sentenced to 60 years. The film shows some of the waiting that she had to do in trying to get him out of prison. I found the movie to be pretty tedious and the background music annoying. I agree that there is a need for prison reform, but there were many stretched out scenes. It felt like there might be a decent 20 minute documentary in here, but this was 80 minutes. It has received a lot of critical praise, but I just don't see it.

233 - One Night in Miami (2020) - 7.5/10 - One night in February 1964, Cassius Clay defeats Sonny Liston for the world heavyweight championship. Jim Brown is doing commentary ringside while Sam Cooke and Malcolm X are in the crowd. Afterward, they all head back to Malcolm X's hotel room to hang out and celebrate. I thought that all four actors did a great job and it was a pretty entertaining movie.

:510:
234 - Angels Over Broadway (1940) - 5/10 - A man decides that he is going to commit suicide after getting caught for embezzling $3000 for his wife who likes to live it up. Before he can do it, though, he gets mixed up with a con man, a playwright, and a showgirl who discover his plight and decide to help him get the money back by swindling some crooks in a card game. The premise doesn't really hold up and neither does much of the dialogue. It really isn't a very good movie and yet I still kind of liked it. Perhaps it was the presence of Rita Hayworth and Thomas Mitchell.

235 - A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon (2020) - 7/10 - A UFO lands near a small British town and the residents call in their version of the X-Files group to investigate. Meanwhile, the alien from the UFO finds itself at Mossy Bottom Farm and Shaun the Sheep tries to help it get back to its ship so that it can go home. I watched the Wallace & Gromit shorts earlier in the year and loved them. I also liked the Wallace & Gromit movie and The PIrates! movie. I still need to watch the first Shaun the Sheep movie, though. The best parts of this film were the opening and ending sequences. The parts in the middle had a number of fun things, but I didn't find them as consistently entertaining. I did laugh at the cameo from a couple of characters from a popular long running British show. This was a good movie, but not quite at the Wallace & Gromit level.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:8510:
236 - Promising Young Woman (2020) - 8.5/10 - Cassie is about to turn 30 and hasn't been the same since what happened to her friend Nina back in med school. Every week she goes out cruising for a it of revenge. Now the opportunity to get some real revenge comes up just as things may be looking up for her on a personal level. I thought that Carey Mulligan did an excellent job and this movie is very entertaining.

237 - My Octopus Teacher (2020) - 7/10 - This documentary has about 80 minutes of nice underwater footage, much of it focused on an octopus that exhibits curiosity and strategy while trying to survive in its environment. We get pyjama sharks, a crab, lobsters, lots of fish, and other sea creatures, but mostly the octopus. We also get about 80 minutes of running commentary from Craig Foster as he seeks meaning in the activity of the octopus and how it relates to his own life. That can get a bit tedious, but I still enjoyed the film quite a bit for the nice underwater scenes.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

238 - Another Round (2020) - 7.5/10 - Four middle aged high school teachers are kind of in a rut - they've lost the energy and vitality they had in their youth and are kind of dull and boring now. They decided to experiment with day drinking, attempting to keep their blood alcohol level around .05 throughout the day. It does seem to reenergize them and their teaching, but there are problems that arise as well. Mads Mikkelsen is pretty good here and I did enjoy the movie, especially the first half of it, but I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I had expected.

239 - Glorious Betsy (1928) - 7/10 - Dolores Costello and Conrad Nagel did a nice job in this story of the romance between Elizabeth "Betsy" Patterson of Baltimore and Jerome Bonaparte (brother of Napoleon). They took a few liberties with the story, but the movie was decent, especially the first half of it. Too bad the sound portion of the story was lost, but you can pretty much tell what is going on during that part and the rest of the film has the title cards in place.

240 - Pinocchio (2019) - 8/10 - I think that this new version is fairly faithful to the original novel. Fans of the Disney cartoon may be a little put off by it, but I thought it was pretty good. The acting, costumes, makeup, and settings were all good. I imagine that the planned Disney live action version will look a lot different, but not necessarily better.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

241 - Crip Camp: A Disability Revolution (2020) - 8.5/10 - This documentary traces the movement to eliminate discrimination against the disabled and to provide accessibility to them to Camp Jened in New York. This was a summer camp teens and young adults with disabilities and was located not too far from Woodstock. In the early 1970s, campers and counselors created a place where the disabled could try different things and expand their horizons. The film uses footage taken at that camp along with footage from tv coverage from protests in the 1970s-1990s involving many people from Camp Jened as well as interviews with some of the same people today. I think it is very well put together and makes for an educational and entertaining film.

242 - Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga (2020) - 7/10 - Lars (Will Ferrell) and Sigrit (Rachel McAdams) are from a small town in Iceland and have dreamed of winning the Eurovision Song Contest since watching Abba win in the 1970s. They are part of a group called Fire Saga, but aren't really that good. They get the opportunity to perform in Eurovision representing Iceland and things don't go exactly as they hoped. I went in with low expectations and while the movie is kind of goofy and could do to be cut in length a bit, I ended up enjoying it. It's not a great film, but it was generally fun.

243 - Over the Moon (2020) - 7/10 - Fei Fei's family have a popular shop where they make mooncakes. When Fei Fei's father looks to remarry, Fei Fei is worried that her father is forgetting his love for his late wife so she builds a rocket to go seek help from the mythical moon goddess. The story is more about her overcoming the grief that still lingers over the death of her mother. This is a pretty decent animated musical. I'd place it fourth among the nominees for animated feature, but I liked it.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:410:
244 - The Midnight Sky (2020) - 4/10 - Some unexplained disaster has happened on Earth that is making the entire planet uninhabitable. Dr. Augustine Lofthouse (George Clooney) is perhaps the only survivor, situated at an Arctic observatory, but his days are numbered. There is a mission returning from one of Jupiter's moons that is unaware of the disaster and he tries to contact them. He also discovers a silent little girl at the observatory who may have been left behind when the others evacuated. The visual effects aren't bad, but I had many of the same problems with this that I had with Time - the story moves at a lethargic pace, it isn't very interesting, and the music makes it even worse. It could have been a decent movie, but everything is just so dull.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

245 - Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (2020) - 7/10 - Blues singer Ma Rainey (Viola Davis) is pretty hard to deal with in this story that takes place at a recording session in Chicago in 1927. As forceful as her character is, though, I think trumpet player Levee (Chadwick Boseman) is the real lead in this story. Davis and Boseman (and the rest of the cast) do a nice job here and I enjoyed the film, but it definitely does show its roots as a play and in this instance I think that detracts from the movie as a whole. It's still a decent film, though.

246 - The White Tiger (2021) - 8/10 - Balram is a low caste Indian from a small village in the north. He had to quit school and work at a young age and the whole village is under the thumb of the rich family that lives in the area. He gets an opportunity to become a driver for that family and his views on his place in society slowly change. The movie is fairly dark and cynical, though with humor, and is narrated by Balram in flashback. I didn't totally buy the ending, but overall I liked the movie and think it is pretty good.

247 - The Life Ahead (2020) - 7.5/10 - Sophia Loren stars as Madame Rosa, an elderly Holocaust survivor and former prostitute who looks after children for money to pay bills. She takes in a Senegalese boy named Momo who has a number of rough edges and aspires to be a drug dealer. The two don't exactly hit it off at first. I haven't seen the 1970s Academy Award winner based on the same story to compare, but I think that this is a pretty good film and the performances by Loren, the boy who played Momo, and the rest of the cast were good as well. The music (which was what gained it a nomination) was also good.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

248 - Da 5 Bloods (2020) - 7.5/10 - Four African American Vietnam vets return to Vietnam to search for the remains of their fallen comrade. While there, they also plan to search for the gold that they lost in a mudslide around the time of his death. I don't think that the movie is really anything special and it was somewhat generic in a lot of ways, but I still enjoyed watching it.

249 - Hillbilly Elegy (2020) - 6/10 - A Yale law student and former Marine has to return home suddenly when he gets a call from his sister. The story features his trip home and a lot of flashbacks to his youth and his dysfunctional relationship with his crazy, drug addicted mother. Amy Adams plays the mother and I don't think that she was very good, kind of overdoing the crazy, annoying behavior. Glenn Close plays the grandmother and she wasn't bad, though I don't think her performance was worthy of an Oscar nomination. They did seem to get her look down based on the home movies at the end. The people who played the adult version (Gabriel Basso) and teen version (Owen Asztalos) of the main character were both pretty solid and did a nice job. I also thought that Freida Pinto was good as the girlfriend. This wasn't a very good movie, but I don't think it was as bad as some of the reviews have made it out to be.

:6510:
250 - Pieces of a Woman (2020) - 6.5/10 - The movie starts with a 20+ minute home birth sequence where something goes wrong and then the characters pretty much spend the rest of the movie dealing (or not dealing) with their grief and other problems. I didn't really enjoy the movie much, but I do think that Vanessa Kirby gave a very good performance and I liked the ending of the film. The problems that I had were the middle of the film where there were issues presented, but not really resolved. The use of long, slow scenes was effective, but kind of overdone. Ellen Burstyn has received some praise for her performance, but I didn't think that her character was very believable and the performance was overrated. Shia LaBeouf was the husband and he was okay at times, especially in the beginning, but less so later. It's worth watching for Kirby's performance, but not much else.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

251 - The Public Enemy (1931) - 7/10 - Cagney gives a pretty good turn in this pre-code gangster film. The beginning of the film with the younger versions of the characters was good. The rest of the film wasn't bad, though I thought it was a bit inconsistent in terms of the acting and pace.

252 - News of the World (2020) - 7.5/10 - Tom Hanks stars as Captain Jefferson Kyle Kidd, a former soldier in Texas five years after the end of the Civil War. He makes his living by traveling from town to town reading the news to locals from various newspapers from around the country. While between towns, he comes across a 10 year old girl (Helena Zengel) who had been living with the Kiowa since her parents death six years earlier, but was now an orphan again. He takes up the task of trying to get her to her remaining relatives. This is a very nice western and Hanks plays his role with his usual ability and is very good, though Zengel easily holds her own and does a great job in her role. She already won awards for one of her previous films in Germany and I wouldn't be surprised to see her in many other roles in Hollywood in the future.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

253 - Collective (2019) - 8.5/10 - A Romanian nightclub caught fire in 2015 due to an illegal pyrotechnic display. 26 people died there and 38 more died in hospitals plus many others were injured. The high number of deaths in hospitals led one newspaper to investigate and they discovered that disinfectants used in hospitals had been diluted to about 10% of normal and this was leading to bacteria infecting many of the burn victims from the fire as well as other patients. The investigation uncovered widespread corruption, fraud, bribery and other problems in the hospitals and in the ministry of health. The problems are so ingrained in the system that they prove difficult if not impossible to root out and change. I found the documentary to be very effective and it should be disturbing to those in Romania and elsewhere.

This was the last of this year's nominees that I needed to watch.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

254 - What Next, Corporal Hargrove? (1945) - 6/10 - This sequel takes place in France with Hargrove and his buddies part of a gun battery. Hargrove is actually fairly competent here, though he gets caught up in the schemes of his friend, Mulvehill. The movie is kind of predictable and mildly funny, but I still enjoyed it. It's not as good as the first film, though.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

255 - Marie-Louise (1944) - 8/10 - This Swiss film starts in France early during WWII. A French family has their home destroyed during a bombing and later we see how the people of Rouen react when the air raid siren goes off. Marie-Louise is a young girl taking care of her younger brother and living with her mother. She is one of a number of French children sent to Switzerland for three months to get them away from the war. Marie-Louise ends up with a wealthy family who takes very good care of her, but it takes some time for the trauma of war to start to wear off. The film itself can be seen as propaganda trying to urge the Swiss to do more for their suffering neighbors since Switzerland remained neutral during the conflict, but was afraid of angering the Germans. However, the acting and directing are very good and the movie itself is also very well done. This is still a hard film to come by, but fortunately there is a nice restored print out there to replace the really worn (and cut) copy that has circulated. There are also English subtitles available, though I had to do some editing to make them sync up with the film.

256 - Salty O'Rourke (1945) - 7/10 - Salty O'Rourke (Alan Ladd) is a gambler saddled with a $20,000 debt from his former partner. He's got 30 days to make it good or else. He has an idea about purchasing a talented, but willful horse and using a talented, but disgraced jockey to win his dough on the race track. A little romance comes into the picture in the form of a young schoolteacher (Gail Russell). It's an entertaining enough film with good bits of dialogue thrown in now and then.

257 - Street of Chance (1930) - 5/10 - William Powell stars as a popular and successful gambler with a reputation of honest with no patience for those who try to cheat him. He decides to give up gambling in order to reconcile with his wife (Kay Francis), but the arrival of his brother in town throws his plans into disarray when his brother announces plans to become a big time gambler himself. The movie was somewhat entertaining, though events seemed pretty contrived and the film hasn't aged particularly well.

258 - Tall, Dark and Handsome (1941) - 7/10 - Cesar Romero stars as a charismatic gangster with a reputation for knocking off rivals. He falls for a woman (Virginia Gilmore) he sees at a department store and ends up telling her that he's a widower and hires her to take care of his kids. The problem is that he was never married and doesn't have any kids. This romantic comedy is fairly entertaining. It's not laugh out loud funny, but the performances are decent.

259 - Lady and Gent (1932) - 7.5/10 - Slag Bailey (George Bancroft) is an old prizefighter who meets his match in young up and comer Buzz Kinney (John Wayne in a small role). When his manager is killed in a robbery, Slag and his girlfriend Puff (Wynne Gibson), a night club hostess, leave town. Their lives are changed when they find out that Slag's manager had a son and they decide to raise him. This turned out to be a nice, heartwarming tale with Gibson bringing the beauty and brains and Bancroft bringing the brawn. They make a great couple and there is plenty of humor in their relationship and elsewhere.