Movies

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Re: Movies

Post by Rusty » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:56 pm

:810:
49 - Secrets of the Heart - 8/10 - Javi is a young boy growing up in Spain in the 1960s. He lives with two of his aunts and his older brother where they attend school, though they take the bus to visit their mother and grandfather on occasion. Javi learns a bit about love and death during the period of the film. I thought that this was a very good movie

Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:51 pm

:7510:
50 - Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey - 7.5/10 - I thought that overall this was a fun movie. There were a lot of things that they got right and a few things that felt a bit off, but it is a good film. I liked it a little bit more than Suicide Squad. Margot Robbie is perfect as Harley Quinn as expected. I thought that Jurnee Smollett-Bell was decent as Dinah Drake. Mary Elizabeth Winstead was mostly decent as Huntress, but I thought the social awkwardness was a bit out of character. I didn't really care for Rosie Perez as Renee Montoya since this wasn't my view of Montoya, though Perez is a good actress. Similarly, I didn't buy Ella Jay Basco as Cassandra Cain. Her acting was decent and if it had been a new character, that would have been fine, but this wasn't Cassandra Cain. There wasn't really a lot to the story, but the film had good action scenes and kept things moving along.

51 - Always in My Heart - 7.5/10 - A man has been in prison for 13 years for a crime that he didn't commit. He made his wife divorce him at the time and had her tell everybody that he had died. Now he is getting released from prison and sets out to secretly visit his adult children so that he doesn't disrupt his wife's plan to remarry, even though she still loves him. I enjoyed it.

Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:08 pm

52 - Commandos Strike at Dawn - 7.5/10 - Paul Muni plays a Norwegian widower during WWII. When the Nazis take over Norway, he and some of his fellow townpeople form a resistance. He eventually escapes to England and leads them back on a raid to destroy a German airfield. I thought this was a pretty good wartime film.

Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:56 pm

:710:
53 - Raffles (1930) - 7/10 - This wasn't really different from the later version starring David Niven about a popular cricket player who moonlights as a thief named the Amateur Cracksman. I liked the later version a little bit more, though.

Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:59 am

54 - The Merry Widow (1952) - 7.5/10 - I liked this version more than the 1930s version. A rich American widow is courted because her fortune would cover the entire national debt of a small European country. Lana Turner stars as the widow Radek.

:810:
55 - It Happened Tomorrow - 8/10 - A newspaperman who is stuck writing obituaries, but wants to become a star reporter gets access to the next day's newspaper. I thought this was a fun movie.

Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:43 pm

:710:
56 - Frenchman's Creek - 7/10 - An English lady in the mid-1600s falls for a charismatic French pirate in this 1944 swashbuckler. It was kind of dull at first, but got better in the second half.